Yesterday's St. Augustine
A nostalgic view of St. Augustine,
through the eye of the camera, from the 1860's to the 1920's
by Geoff Dobson
Visit Geoff's other history sites,
Wyoming Tales and Trails, a history of Wyoming told through more than 350 historic
photos of the Old West.This page: The Grand Hotels Continued
Music: Tiptoe Through the Tulips
Cordova Hotel, 1891. The Cordova was the third hotel owned by Henry Flagler. It later served
as the County Courthouse and presently is the Casa Monica Hotel.
Parlor, Cordova Hotel, 1891
The Barcelona Hotel, 1891
The Buckingham. The view is from Cordova Street looking west across the park in front of the
Alcazar. The Hotel
was located on the corner of King and Grenada Streets. The location was
later the site of the Grenada Hotel.
Bay Street, 1920's. On the left is the Monson. In the distance may be seen the
Bennett Hotel. For closeup see next photo.
The Bennett was located across from the carriage stands
on the bayfront.
The Bennett. Sometimes hotel postcards might be slightly altered so as to
make the scene much more attractive. In this instance, note the width of
Bay Street. Although the street has been widened since the 1930's, it was not
as narrow as depicted here. Also note that the building between the Bennett and
the corner has vanished.
New Dixie Highway Hotel, 35 St. George Street.
Castle Warden. Castle Warden Hotel, presently the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum,
was owned by Norton Sanford Baskin, husband of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlins, author of
The Yearling and Cross Creek.
NEXT PAGE, William Henry Jackson Photos