Yesterday's St. Augustine
A nostalgic view of St. Augustine, through the eye of the camera, from the 1860's to the 1920's
by Geoff Dobson

Visit Geoff's award winning history site, Wyoming Tales and Trails, a history of Wyoming told through more than 600 historic photos of the Old West.

This Page:William Henry Jackson
Music: Sweetheart of Sigma Chi

Bridge to Anastasia Island from Bayfront, photo by Wm. H. Jackson approx. 1902.

At the turn of the century the Detroit Publishing Company commissioned the great western photographer, William Henry Jackson, to take a series of photographs of St. Augustine. The remainder of the photos on this page are from that commission.

William Henry Jackson, following the Civil War, was a bullwacker and stage driver on the Oregon Trail. In the late 1860's he became a freelance photographer taking photos of the construction of the Union Pacific. His photography came to the attention of Ferdinand Hayden of the Smithsonian Institute who was engaged in a geologic exloration of Wyoming and Yellowstone. Included also in the expedition was Thomas Moran. The photography of Jackson and the paintings of Moran convinced Congress to designate Yellowstone as the world's first National Park. For more on Jackson see Wyoming Tales and Trails.

Seawall, approx. 1902. Photo by Wm. H. Jackson. The octagonal building advertising "hot baths" is Capo's Bath House which burned in the 1914 fire.

Seawall, approx. 1902. Photo by Wm. H. Jackson

King Street, approx. 1902, Photo by Wm. H. Jackson. On the left is the Cordova Hotel. On right is the Post Office, once the Spanish Governor's Palace. Later the building was used as a courthouse and as a customs house. The building was remodeled during the F. D. Roosevelt Administration to its present configuaration.

King Street, looking east, photo by Wm. H. Jackson. In the distance may be seen the Cordova Hotel.

Golf at Fort Marion, photo by Wm. H. Jackson

Cathedral Place, Approx. 1902, photo by Wm. H. Jackson

NEXT PAGE, 1900-1910