Cheyenne Photos

Continued from Previous Page

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

This page: Cheyenne 1900's

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Brands Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Coal Camps Cody Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Overland Stage Pacific Railroad Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

Capital Avenue, looking South, approx. 1910.

Church on left is St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral. See also next photo. Further down the street, on the opposite side of the street, are the roofs of Central High School. See photo on next page. At the end of the street is the Union Pacific Depot.

St. Mary's Cathedral, 1913.

Construction of the cathedral started in 1906, with the cornerstone being laid on July 7, 1907. The cathedral was consecrated in 1909 by Bishop Maruice F. Burke, who had served as Cheyenne's first Bishop. The building was designed by Omaha architects Fisher & Lowery, and cost $125,000.

Bird's eye view of Cheyenne, looking north, 1906

The low lying building immediately past the viaduct is the Burlington Station. To the west of the Burlington Station is the Phoenix Block, now the Wrangler Building, at 201 W. 16th Street.

Cheyenne, looking northwest from railroad depot tower, approx. 1910.

Toward the left, the building with the small dome on a corner tower, is the Tivoli Saloon at 301 W. 16th Street in which plans for Frontier Day were originally formulated. It has been contended that Joe LeFors "liquored up" Tom Horn in the Tivoli. The building later served as a family department store and, after prohibition ended, reverted again to a saloon. The building now houses a coffee house. Across the roofs in the foreground, can be seen the upper floors of the Commercial Block, in which LeFors took Tom Horn's confession. To its right are the upper floors of the Inter-Ocean in whose bar Horn was arrested. Beyond, is the United States Courthouse and Post Office.

Cheyenne High School, 1911

The above school building was constructed in 1891 and was razed in 1929. It was located on Capital Avenue, across the street and south from St. Mary's Cathedral.

Frontier Day, 1910

The building on the corner with the awning is the Union Mercantile Co., wholesale and retail grocers. As indicated in a subsequent chapter, Cheyenne has been home of Frontier Days since 1897. The caption is not in error. Until 1915 the term was in the singular even though the event was over multiple days.

Frontier Day, 1909.

Cheyenne Photos continued on next page.