Sheridan Photos

Continued from previous page.

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

This Page: Sheridan,

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Brands Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Coal Camps Cody Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Overland Stage Photos V Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents, p. 1
Table of Contents, p. 2
About This Site

Sheridan, looking north, 1890's.

Parade, 1907, corner of Main Street and Loucks.

The building with the arched entrance is the First National Bank, organized in 1890. The building was replaced in 1909.

Main Street, looking south, approx. 1905

The building with the cupola is the City Hall. The three-story building between it and the domed building, is the Bank of Commerce and Masonic Temple. Behind the Bank of Commerce is the domed courthouse.

Grinnell Ave., Sheridan, looking west to intersection with Main.

The brick building on Main with the bunting is the Meyer-Barr Building constructed in 1902. The bottom floor has housed at different times a restaurant, a saloon, a music company and a book, stationery store and gallery. Upstairs there have been an Eagles aerie, a Knight of Columbus and and a business school. The four-story building on the right is the City Hall.

C. H. Grinnell was with J. R. Phelan and George T. Beck a founder in 1893 of the Sheridan Fuel Co., the first commercial mining company in the Sheridan area. Beck was a partner with Wm. F. Cody in the founding of Cody, Wyo. Beck was also the Democratic candidate for governor in 1902. Grinnell, on the other hand was in his electorial efforts more successful in the same year, being elected city water commissioner.

Labor Day Parade, 1915.

The two-story building with the diagonal entrance was the location for the Bank of Commerce from 1894 to 1904 when it moved to the corner of Main and Brundage.

According to a city directory published by Dinsmore & Wilson in 1894, the City had four churches; three banks; two newspapers, The Sheridan Post , a "seven column, eight pages Republican newspaper" and The Sheridan Enterprise, "a seven column, four paged Democratic weekly" as well as two brick yards, a soda water manufactory and bottling works and a two-story brick city hall. After waxing eloquently about the improvement in the City, twice extolling Sheridan as the "Denver of the northwest", the Editor could hardly restrain himself:

"The climate is the most salubriuos [sic] and charming in the world, being specially kindly to persons affected with pulmonary troubles. Dry pure air, not a germ of malaria, or other common deseases [sic], a confirmed invalid is known. In summer a refreshing breeze is usually gently blowing, invigorating everything and causing those happy, energetic people who form Sheridan's population, while in winter the friendly 'chinook' wind mitigates the cold, killing winters of the Dakotas."

Snow storn of May 20, 1908

As can be seen from the photo and the discussion of the great die-off with regard to cattle, the friendly chinooks do not always mitigate the cold.

Sheridan Photos continued on next page.