Pinedale, approx. 1910.
The large brick building is the Sublette County Courthouse. See next photo. The county
is named after William Lewis Sublette (1799-1845) who, with his partner, Robert Campbell after whom
Campbell County is named, went from mountain man to a major St. Louis entrepreneur, banker, and
Sublette County Courthouse, approx. 1941.
Pine Street looking east, Pinedale, 1926. Compare with 1939 photo lower on
The two-story building in the background is the Fardy Hotel operated by Ida
Fardy. Downstairs there was a gambling hall and saloon. The building was located where the
Stockman's Restaurant at 117 West Pine is now located. The pine trees in the photo were planted in 1921. The town was incorporated as
a municipality in 1912 and by 1915 had attained a population of 83.
Visit by Crown Prince Gustav Adolph of Sweden, 1926.
In 1926, the Crown Prince of Sweden, Gustav Adolph (later Gustav VI), toured parts of the United States. During his
visit he assisted in the laying of the cornerstone of a building commemorating
Swedish settlement of the Delaware River Valley and the dedication of a monument
in Washington honoring John Ericsson, the designer of the USS Monitor. Among places visited was
Pine Street looking east, Pinedale, approx. 1939.
Pine Street looking west, Pinedale, approx. 1941.
Pine Street looking west, Pinedale, approx. 1952.
Today, Pinedale and Sublette County remain, as it were, "off the beaten path." Tourists to
Yellowstone head to Jackson via way of Idaho, up from Rawlins through Lander, or perhaps through Cody.
Thus, Sublette County remains primarily a cattle town where local brands are listed in the
Page from 2003 Pinedale Phone Book.