Ghost Town Photos

Continued from preceeding page

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

This page: The Laramie, Hahn's Peak & Pacific Railroad, Isaac Van Horn continued from previous page.

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Brands Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Cody Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Overland Stage Photos V Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

Forest Service Headquarters Buildings, Fox Park, Wyo. approx. 1911.

The Forest Service was established in 1902. The area headquarter was located at Fox Park. The railroad reached the area in December, 1909. By 1910, the railroad had reached Fox Park, Wyoming, then little more than a timber camp and headquarters for the Forest Service. The forest service had been established in 1902 and made a local headquarters at Foxpark. In December 1909 Herman P. Marferding moved from Keystone and established a general store in a 14 x 16 foot tent. In Keystone, Marferding had been employed by the Carbon Timber Company which until about 1910 had practically monopolized supply railroad ties to the Union Pacific. The Marfeding store was quickly moved into a permanent building. Marferding also established a hotel.

Foxpark, 1912.

At first, the hotel used outside privies. In a short time Marferding provided a "toilet room for the ladies inside the store. The men received and a small outside "wash room. J. B. Seibert opened a pool hall. The pool hall also provided food. The Laramie Boomerang indicated that the "stakes" [sic] were better that those in the hotel.

L.H.P.& P. depot, Merferding store and hotel in Fox Park, Wyo.

Also coming to the rapidly growing camp was Daniel "Dan" Wilt who had been superintendent at various camps for the Carbon Timber Co. which by that time was in financial trouble. The Union Pacific had rejected a large quantity of its ties and it had illegally cut timber in Routt County, Colorado. Thus, Carbon Timber's near monopoly was broken. Dan became the manager of the hotel and became instrumental with the Standard Timber Company which had been incorporated in Omaha in 1910 by George Loft. Standard's main headquarters were, however, in Evanston.

Foxpark, c. 1910.

By 1911 there were sufficient school age children, about 22, to warrant the establishment of a school house. See Centennial Post,April 29, 1911, p. 1. The Post in its May 13, 1911, issue, p. 4, estimated the population of the town at 600.

New Grade, south of Foxpark. Photo by Photo by J. H. Van Horn (attributed).

Attribution of certain photos of the Railroad was based on Van Horn's spending of the summer of 1911 photographing the railroad for publication by the LHP&P including trips to the end of the line.

By 1911, Alfred and Oscar Bergstrom moved their sawmill from Morgan, Wyomming to Fox Park. Marferding had the sawmill cut lath which was then sold in Laramie. The lath could use lumber not suitable for railroad ties. The sawmill burned in 1912 but was rebuilt.

Foxpark Post Office, undated.

In 1914, the Forest Service opened blocks of land adjacent to the railroad tracks between Foxpark and the Colorado line for timbering. Other timber companies moved in. Otto Gramm established the Fox Park Timber Company. He also established a few miles to the south another tie operation near a large sawmill at Gramm, Wyoming. Gramm is now a ghost town.

Lumber awaiting loading at Foxpark. Photo by J. H. Van Horn (attributed).

With the completion of the L. H. P. & P. demand for railroad ties declined and the little town has also declined. The original settlers had moved on. H. P. Marferding moved at first to Utah and later to Fort Morgan where he died in 1932. Dan Wilt remained active in the timber business. At first he moved to the Steamboat Springs area and later to Wichita, Kansad. At the time of his death in 1939 he was Vice-President of Standard Timber Co. The 1921 Wyoming Business Directory reflects that H. P. Marferding, Dan Wilt, J. B. Seibert and the Bergstom Brothers had all moved on. Only two timber companies were listed: Standard and the Otto Lumber Company. The hotel and mercantile remained operated by Grant Thomas. The pool hall remained owned by O. E. Warren. By 2010 the town's population stood at 22.

Foxpark Railway station, approx. 1956.

Grading for the Lamamie, Hahn's Peak and Pacific Railroad west of Foxpark, Wyo. Photo by J. H. Van Horn (attributed).

Next Page LHP&P continued, Coalmont.