Coal Camp Photos

Continued from preceeding page

From Wyoming Tales and Trails

This page: Cumberland.

Big Horn Basin Black Hills Bone Wars Brands Buffalo Cambria Casper Cattle Drives Centennial Cheyenne Chugwater Coal Camps Cody Deadwood Stage Douglas Dubois Encampment Evanston Ft. Bridger Ft. Fetterman Ft. Laramie Frontier Days Ghost Towns Gillette G. River F. V. Hayden Tom Horn Jackson Johnson County War Kemmerer Lander Laramie Lincoln Highway Lusk Meeteetse Medicine Bow N. Platte Valley Overland Stage Pacific Railroad Rawlins Rock Springs Rudefeha Mine Sheepherding Sheridan Sherman Shoshoni Superior Thermopolis USS Wyoming Wheatland Wild Bunch Yellowstone

Table of Contents
About This Site

Cumberland, Wyoming, undated. *

Cumberland. originally called "Little Muddy, was 17 miles south of Kemmerer on the Uinta County line. It consisted of four camps, Cumberland No. 1, Cumberland No. 2, South Cumberland, and Cumberland Gap. Coal camps in the Rocky Mountain West consisted of Company owned towns ("closed towns") in which everything, the store, the schools, the public hall, belonged to the Coal Company.

"Golden Rule" Store, Cumberland, Wyoming, approx. 1913.

Other towns, "open towns," such as Kemmerer or Diamondville, permitted private ownership of property and were open to outside businesses. Cumberland No. 1 and Cumberland No. 2 were closed. and Cumberland Gap between the two and South Cumberland about a mile south in Uinta County were open thus providing an opportunity for a J. C. Penney "Golden Rule Store." An early manager of the store in Cumberland was Earl C. Sams (1884-1950).

Twenty-three year old Sams was employed by Mr. Penney in the Kemmerer store in 1907 but was soon transferred to the Cumberland store at a salary of $75.00 a month. With profit sharing, Sams earning $1,500 in the first year of which he saved $1,000.00. In 1913, the Penney organization incorporated under the laws of the State of Utah. In 1917, he was appointed as president of the corporation and remained such until 1946 when he became Chairman of the Board. He remained as Chairman until his death in 1950.

Cumberland No. 2 Mine, undated. *

The Cumberland mines, owned by the Union Pacific Coal Company, opened in 1900 after the discovery of two seams by engineer in charge August Paulson. Paulson later served as mayor of Superior, Wyoming, another Union Pacific Coal town.

No. 2 Mine, Cumberland, Wyoming, undated.

No. 2 Mine, Cumberland, Wyoming, undated. *

Blazon Mine, undated.*

The Blazon Mine was located about five miles north of Cumberland. The Blazon Coal Co. operated mines in Carbon County, Utah, and Point of Rocks, as well as in Lincoln County.

* Photos courtesy of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation.

Next Page: Cumberland continued, Ludlow, Colorado, Massacre.