Chariot Race along West Broadway in front of Wort Hotel, approx. 1941.
Along Broadway west of Cache there are basically two buildings from prior to World War II which are still recognizable, the
Wort Hotel constructed in 1941 just before the war and the Frontier Saloon pictured below. The Wort Hotel is discussed on a
Frontier Saloon, approx. 1939.
Jackson, Frontier Saloon, approx. 1939
The Frontier Saloon was allegedly open during Prohibition. In 1931, there were but two federal
prohibition agents in the state. Allegedly, when the federal agent covering the western part
of the state, Louis Jones, would leave Rock Springs, the owners of the saloons there would call
ahead to alert their counterparts in Jackson. Friendly ranchers along the route would keep
Jackson informed as to Jones' progress. Thus, the booze could properly be stowed by the time
Jones arrived in Jackson. On one occasion, however, the word did not reach Jackson until about
the time Jones reached Hoback Canyon. Thus, the owner of the Frontier Saloon found it necessary
to press passersby and his customers into service in a relay similar to a bucket brigade to get
the offending product safely put away in time for Jones' arrival. After the danger had passed
everyone was given a free drink on the house. The story, however, may be somewhat apocryphal. A list of "Historic and Significant
Properties in Jackson and Teton County prepared by the Teton County Preservation Board dated May 2, 2010, shows the building to have been constructed in
The building at 30 W. Broadway across from the Wort Hotel as of 2013 has a plaque noting that it is an historic building that has been preserved. Because the building is now part of a
"street wall;" that is, only the front of the building is visible from the street. It is, except for the historic plaque,
basically unrecognizable as the old saloon. The business within, Indian jewelry, arts and crafts, is operated by the
descendents of John Wort.
Looking east along Broadway, Jackson 1947.
In the distance is the Wort Hotel. The multi-cabled building at the right in the photo is the Jackson Hole Lodge at 420 W. Broadway.
The lodge was constructed in 1942 and was
once managed by Kenny Sailors.
Sailors, a three-time All-American basketball player for the University of Wyoming and inventor of the "jump shot,"
at one time managed the Jackson Hole Lodge. He moved out of Jackson and opened the Heart
Six Dude Ranch near Moran. In 1965, he and his wife sold the ranch out to his brother Bud and
moved to Alaska. He later explained the move, "I could see that there would be big changes
coming and rather than wait to see how it all turned out, I decided it would be exciting to
start over in a place that was like Wyoming had been forty or fifty years ago." As quoted by
John Christgau, "The Origins of the Jump Shot: Eight Men Who Shook the World of Basketball,"
University of Nebraska Press, 1999.
Jackson Hole Lodge, undated.
Sailors later moved back to Wyoming. Following his wife's death in 1999, he moved to Laramie. The Lodge is now somewhat changed in
Looking east along Broadway toward Cache, approximately 1960.
The sign for the Wort Hotel is visible behind the sign for the Flame Motel at 135 W. Broadway. Between the Flame and the
Wort was the Roundup Store at 115 W. Broadway depicted lower on the page. The Flame, constructed in 1952-53,
later was renamed the "Sundance Motel."
The Flame Motel, undated.
The Flame was included within the Preservation Board's list of Historic and Significant Properties, allegedly because it "has distinct Art Moderne elements,
including the curved corners and glass block fenestration." The Writer has difficulty in considering a building that is
younger than the writer as 'historic." Regardless, the building was demolished in late 2011 to make way for a parking lot for the Wort Hotel. The night before the motel
closed, a former owner spent the night at the property mourning its loss. "It was," he said,
"melancholy knowing this is going to go away." His family eventually left, not joining in the all-night vigil.
Lobby, The Flame Motel, undated.
The owners of the Wort, assured members of the public that and effort would be made to preserve historically important prieces of furniture and fixtures
such as a typewriter, dioramas from the reception and some of the bathroom tiling would be archived and donated to museums.
Between the Flame and the Wort is the Roundup Store with the blue=green square sign at 115 W. Boradway.
The Roundup was owned by Abi Garaman who along with a partner Chick Joy had purchased it from his father-in-law Fred Pack. Pack started the business in 1947.
At that time, the store known as the Teton Mercantile was located at the
corner of Deloney and Glenwood Avenue.
The Roundup Store, 115 W. Boradway, approx. 1964
The lease expired in 2010 and after 63 years the business closed. The site is now a part of the Wort Plaza.
Next Page: Jackson continued.